[syslinux] ISOLINUX problem booting with no Hard Disk

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Tue Apr 1 13:57:22 PST 2003

I am experiencing a problem booting a machine with ISOLINUX on a machine
that has no hard drive (CD-ROM only). I've tried two different machines, a
Dell Poweredge 2600 and a Dell Poweredge 1300, both exhibit identical
symptoms. When I boot the exact same cd on a system with a hard drive, the
boot is just fine.

I had been using ISOLINUX 1.66, but I just upgraded to 2.02 and I am
having the exact same problem.

The messages from the debug version are:

ISOLINUX 2.02 2003-02-13  Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
isolinux: Starting up, DL = 82
isolinux: Loaded spec packet OK, drive = 82
isolinux: Loading main image from LBA = 00002792
isolinux: Sectors to load = 0004
isolinux: Loaded boot image, verifying...
isolinux: Main image read, jumping to main code...
isolinux: Root directory at LBA = 0000001D
isolinux: isolinux directory at LBA = 0000001E
isolinux: About to load config file...
isolinux: Configuration file opened...
boot:
Ready.

After the "Ready." prompt, there are no more messages, the cursor stays on
the next line under the "R", and the expected, "Uncompessing kernel..."
message never appears.

Anybody have any suggestions?

--
Michael Brown