[syslinux] PXELinux configuration

Craig Coles craig.coles at altiris.com
Wed Apr 2 08:06:43 PST 2003

I have recently started to learn about doing remote booting and have
seen your PXELinux product.  I primarily use Debian and have obtained
the syslinux package v2.00.

I am having trouble getting my DHCPD and tftpd servers to work.  At this
time, I am only testing one client, but will want to be able to boot
many different clients.  I need to know how to setup DHCPD to boot any
PXE clients (is this possible? I mean, I may not know their MAC ahead of
time).

Do you have a complete example of a dhcpd.conf file and tftpd config
file that I can start with?

My configuration consists of:
- an in-house PXE server that receives instructions from a database if a
particular MAC needs to boot via the network, if so, then we use an
image that the PXE server sends to the client (a bootable floppy image)

- dhcpd v3.0?

- tftpd-hpa v0.33

I don't know what kind of communication is taking place between the
client (Intel nic, version 2 PXE capable) and the PXE server, and the
DHCP server.  I am not seeing that the tftp server is being accessed at
all.

I've been able to build a 2.88MB floppy image that gets served up by our
PXE server, but need to create bigger images to support a bigger rescue
image.  I don't know anything about the MEMDISK product but was
wondering if this is a possibility.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your product, and your time.

-Craig