[syslinux] Bootloader chaining

Andrew Wray andywray at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 4 06:40:59 PST 2003

I've been trying to make up for a mismatch in functionality between bpbatch
and pxelinux by trying to use both depending what I'm trying to do by chain
booting the two.  I'm able to chain boot in either direction, either
pxelinux then bpbatch or bpbatch then pxelinux, but once I've done this,
and boot either Linux or DOS, I find the adapter I used to network boot is
not detected by the driver--althoug a second NIC of the same type is.  My
theory on this is that the first bootloader isn't releasing control of the
adapter somehow--for instance, if I boot bpbatch then pxelinux and pxelinux
boots Linux, then pxelinux will release control of the adapter (hide the
boot PROM is how the bpbatch manual refers to it)  but then I guess bpbatch
still has the boot PROM loaded.  I'm not sure if there's any way around
this, but any insights would be appreciatated.

Thanks,

Andy Wray