[syslinux] syslinux on Windows to USB compactflash disk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Apr 4 14:48:52 PST 2003

Alex Pavloff wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to make a CompactFlash bootable with SYSLINUX.   The hard part is
> that I'm trying to run SYSLINUX on Windows 2000 and am attempting to write
> to the compactflash that's plugged in via a USB reader/writer.  Its not
> working -- Windows complains about the 16-bit subsystem wanting direct
> access to the drive.
>
> So then is the problem SYSLINUX fighting with Windows or could it be the USB
> drive no allowing direct writes?

It's the former.  I'm pretty much giving up on getting Windows to behave
sanely w.r.t. this :(

I just got mingw32 working as a cross-compilation environment; perhaps I
will try to make a win32 version of the installer.  Better yet, anyone
who would be willing to contribute such a beast?  All it needs to do is
to patch the boot sector and create LDLINUX.SYS.