[syslinux] Creating hard disk image

Holden Hao holden at philonline.com.ph
Fri Apr 4 18:26:36 PST 2003

Hello All.

How can I create a hard disk image that can be booted with isolinux + memdisk?  How do I go about, for example, if I want to create a harddisk image of /dev/hda1 which is 4+Mb in size?  The docs offered some clues that I need to copy the mbr and the partition table also.  I also read from the archives that what I should do to create the image of /dev/hda1 is to use dd if=/dev/hda of=myHDimg.img and this will copy the partition table.  If I have several partitions on /dev/hda and not just /dev/hda1 will there be any problem since the partition table copied also described the other partitions?

What I am trying to do is to burn movix and movix2 (http://movix.sourceforge.net) into one cd and multi-boot between the two.  Both are available as iso and are about 18-30 Mb in size.  Since they are isos i guess more work has to be done to make them multi-boot.

Thank you for the replies.

Holden