[syslinux] ipappend with pxelinux

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Apr 4 20:46:10 PST 2003

Hi,

Ryan Lovett <ryan at stat.Berkeley.EDU> schrieb am 05.04.03 02:37:18:
>  I have not been able to get the IPAPPEND option to successfully set the ip
> parameters for a pxelinux install. I have
>
>   LABEL install
>         KERNEL pxelinux.cfg/tftpboot.img
>         APPEND initrd=pxelinux.cfg/initrdfs.gz root=/dev/ram
>         IPAPPEND 1
>
> where tftpboot.img is either of
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/
>     idepci/tftpboot.img
>     bf2.4/tftpboot.img
>
> but the parameter fails to impact the running system. The 3Com MBA is able to
> acquire the DHCP information without trouble and I can acquire DHCP info
> manually (using dhclient-2.2.x) once the system is up so I know that DHCP is
> working.

This needs the driver in the kernel, and Kernel Level IP config in the kernel.

You should see either the kernel parameter to be something with 'ip='
(so pxelinux actually gave this info to the kernel), see the driver initialize,
after this the kernel reporting it giving this IP to the driver. This all happens
before any initrd is used, so if you want to set it from an initrd you need to
get the IP address out of /proc/cmdline by yourself.

Regards,

Josef