[syslinux] Preliminary 2.03-pre1 result...

Michael Blandford mlblandf at sedona.ch.intel.com
Mon Apr 7 10:20:32 PDT 2003

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>It seems that 2.03-pre1 resolves PXELINUX problem on a reasonable number
>of hosts.  Perhaps somewhat importantly this seems to include the RBFG
>PXE boot floppy, which did not work with 2.02.
>
>This was somewhat of a surprise, since it didn't exhibit the failure
>mode that I would have thought would have been the trigger of the bug.
>Instead, it was one of those stacks that would transmit packets and then
>sit there and listen forever without getting anything.
>
>Therefore, I would like to ask that *anyone* who has had problems with
>PXELINUX 2.02 please pretty please try out PXELINUX 2.03-pre1 and see if
>it helps your problems.

I just tried 2.03-pre2 with the rbfg floppy.  It seems to have the same
problem for me.  I am using it inside VMware.

Here is what I see

TFTP........
PXELINUX 2.03 2.03-pre2 Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
Found PXEENV+ structure
PXE API version is 0200
Old PXE API dectected, using PXENV+ structure
UNDI data segment at:   9840
UNDI data segment size:   5BE8
UNDI code segment at:   9DFF
UNDI code segment size:   1810
PXENV entry point found (we hope) at 9DFF:0000
My IP address seems to be <HEX> <IP>
ip=<ip>:<tftp/dhcp server ip>:<gateway>:<netmask>
TFTP prefix:
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/<ip>
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

tftp server logs never show any request for a config file.

Michael