[syslinux] PXELINUX on top of Etherboot?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Apr 10 17:57:27 PDT 2003

Question for people...

Has anyone actually tried running PXELINUX on top of Etherboot?  There
is something in Etherboot 5.1.7 called FREEBSD_PXEEMU, which seems to be
a PXE stack subset, in particular it seems to support the following calls:

PXENV_GET_CACHED_INFO
PXENV_UDP_OPEN
PXENV_UDP_WRITE
PXENV_UDP_READ
PXENV_UDP_CLOSE
PXENV_UNLOAD_STACK
PXENV_UNDI_SHUTDOWN

This happens to be pretty close to the subset used by PXELINUX, with two
exceptions: PXELINUX will also invoke PXENV_STOP_UNDI (for version >=
2.00) or PXENV_UNDI_CLEANUP (for version < 2.00).  I'd be really curious
to see how this would play out.

There are of course also other kinds of concerns, e.g. if the detection
mechanism works properly, and if it stomps on memory it shouldn't be.

I'm sorry if this has happened to be public knowledge to everyone but
myself for a long time.  If this happens to work, though, I'd like to
post it on the PXELINUX web pages, and if not, I'd like to see what I
can do to help debug it.