[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.03-pre4

Andreas Kneiseler Andreas.Kneiseler at aumav.verwalt-berlin.de
Thu Apr 10 21:44:53 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have the pre4-Version installed since today morning, and it's working
fine so far.

I have some quetion about it:

How can I create a boot-Picture for the PXE-Stuff with Wi****s-Tools for
example Paintshop Pro 5.03 ??
I already tried to load one of the Examples and saving the modified Pic back
but it didn't work.

I would love to have a blue background with white letters and red Warnings
etc. I'm already using the grahpical-Mode
'cause this one offers me a bigger screen for my menu.

But if I can't do that, then I have to live with white on black stuff.

Another thing is:

I've got the following szenario:

I've got a couple Linux-Servers (3 eMail-, 1 Proxy-, 2 Firewalls, 2 File-, 1
Backup-Server)
Clients I've got NT4, W2K, XP, Linux

My Vision is to build (just working at it) a Boot-Server with DHCP, TFTP to
boot per PXE.
Booting an Installation for eMail Server 3.1 from SuSE and SuSE 8.1
Professional was quit easy.
I modified a kind of rescue System based on a rescue-Disk from SuSE 8.1 with
some aditional
Network-Tools I needed. Working !!!
Now the Problems are showing up, trying to build up a Windows Installation.

What I need is a way to remote boot a Windows XP, Windows 2000 and last but
not least a Windows NT4
remote installation feature. I'm stuck at a point whre I downloaded a tool
from Powerquest to create a TCP/IP
Bootdisk (Image was upploaded to the Bootserver).

The boot stuff is working, I'm getting down to the A-Prompt from a
Caldera-Dos Disk.
I have access to the Fileserver(samba) where the installation tree from XP
is installed.
when I try to change to the networkdrive (at this point is everything
working) I have Problems
to start the winnt.exe inside the I386 directory, the setup is stoping with
the error Msg
can't get space for temp-Files or something like this.

OK, I created an extra share on the samba-server called temp, mounted it as
a nother drive
told winnt.exe with the /t switch to take this space for temp-stuff. But it
don't like it.

What I like to have is (like the PXE-Enviroment under W2K-Server) Boot the
Setup-Routines from
a Samba-Server prepare the HD automagicly and install the XP-stuff.

It would make me even cry when I can install a XP-System with some extra
packags like Office
and other programs. Does any body has some experience with this and would
share geniuos Ideas with me ???

Alright, now I'm finished with my questions !

Other then this I need to say thanks a lot to

H. Peter Anvin, for creating such a great tool and the KNOPPIX-Team
for giving me the hint where to find this great Tool.

Sincerly Andreas Kneiseler

P.S.: Please excuse me when I made some mistakes in my writing above,
         I used to work for the US-allied here in Berlin for 9 Years since
         they are gone, I'm not used to write english letters for about 7
years or
         so. So my english isn't that good any more. Reading OK but my
Grammar in
         writing better to be quied !

Andreas Kneiseler
Netzwerk-Management & Security