[syslinux] Making logos...

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Sat Apr 12 02:06:36 PDT 2003

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> developer wrote:
>
>> Tom Lisjac wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a custom logo for syslinux but keep bumping my
>>> head
>>> on the conversion to LSS16. The sample syslogo.png works fine so I
>>> decided to start with a known quantity by loading it into the Gimp.
>>>
>>> I cleared the canvas, color filled a blue background (0x000033) placed
>>> some yellow letters on the blue (0xffff00) and saved the file back out
>>> with the default compression. The resulting image is 639x320 and 16
>>> colors like the original syslogo.png. Here's the error I got with this
>>> attempt and keep getting with all the others I tried:
>>>
>>> pngtopnm syslogo.png | \
>>>        ../ppmtolss16 \#000000=0 \#d0d0d0=7 \#f6f6f6=15 \
>>>        > syslogo.lss
>>> ../ppmtolss16: Premature EOF at (516,308) of (639,320)
>>> make: *** [syslogo.lss] Error 255
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    This happens when the original file have a incongruent PNG Class.
>>    Will be very long to explain how to solve.
>>    The most immediate solution I can tell you is that your image must
>> be PNG: PseudoClass, not "DirectClass"
>>

> No, this is not true.  After the conversion of PPM none of that
> matters.  Most likely is that you're on a RedHat 8 or 9 system, or any
> other system with a UTF-8 locale; you need to get ppmtolss16 from
> syslinux 2.03, or manually set the locale to "C":
>
> LC_ALL=C make

Hi,

    I speak from my experience not others.

    There are various reason for the previous error that Tom get.

    The PseudoClass is one probably reason, not the only reason.

    My intention was to help, nothing else.

Goodbye.
Thanks,
Giovanni

  Future Technologies, The TOTAL Linux Company!

   http://www.futuretg.com
   ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/
   mailto:gorlando at futuretg.com

   Italia:                          USA (re-planned - NOT working)
   Via Cairoli, 1                   1620 26th Street - 3rd floor South Tower
   33170 - Pordenone (PN)           Santa Monica - CA

   Mobile:   +39 338 33 16 156.
   Telefono: +39 0434 - 209 107.
   Fax:      +39 0434 - 209 510.

http://www.futuretg.com/FTOSX - The Best Operating System ever made!