[syslinux] isolinux 2.01 bug with Compaq and Promise BIOS

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Apr 13 14:23:47 PDT 2003

Rob McGee wrote:

> I made some custom CD-RW's with my own custom 2.4.20 kernel, using
> isolinux 2.01, and I kept getting the same hang at "Ready." When I made
> one with isolinux 1.67, it worked. The isolinux 2.01 CD's boot when the
> hard drive is on the motherboard controller, with or without the Promise
> controller installed; with no drives connected the Promise BIOS does not
> install itself. The problem appears to be between 2.01 and the Promise
> BIOS.

The Promise BIOS has quite a few known issues.  In more blunt terms,
it's a total and utter piece of shit.  At least some version of the
Promise BIOS will work if, and only if, the boot catalog is in exactly
the same position on the disk as the boot catalog on the Win2K disk.

Bother Promise about this.

	-hpa

P.S. Why are you trying 2.01 and not 2.03?