[syslinux] retrieve a parameter in DOS

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Apr 18 11:22:53 PDT 2003

Murali krishnan Ganapathy wrote:
> I would also be interested in that. But I dont think that is possible.
> Atleast it would
> depend on the variant of DOS being used. Hopefully atleast one of
> MSDOS/PCDOS/DRDOS/FreeDOS
> accept boot time parameters.

No, DOS has no such concept, and MEMDISK doesn't even attempt to pass
the information on.  That doesn't mean it's not possible, though, just
that there would need to be an interface on the DOS side to recover the
information.  I don't want MEMDISK to poke it into the disk image, since
right now MEMDISK has no knowledge of what kind of filesystem it has and
I'd like to keep it that way.

However, I have been considering implementing some way to detect MEMDISK
being installed (an INT 13h or 15h call of some sort, probably) and that
could also return a pointer to the command line, perhaps.