[syslinux] COM32 Advice

Murali krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 18 20:58:05 PDT 2003

hmm.... I always thought officially you are only allowed to use
the 0th sector on track 0 (MBR). I have heard of (windows I think)
using upto 4 sectors, but that may be in the partition in which
it is installed. So I thought, sectors 6-9 should be safe. If
I can be reasonably assured that Linux (i.e. LILO), and Windows
dont use more than the first 4 sectors on track 0, I will be happy.

Since I am doing the partitioning, I can ensure that track 0 is
"unpartitioned space", so officially only the MBR lives there.

>> The process of installing OSes (especially multiple OSes), require
one
>> to boot in some particular order, e.g. Boot into DOS off the CD, and
>> then off the hard disk,.... I am currently trying to automate that
>> process. To that end I am writing a COM32 code, which ineffect reads
>> particular sector from the hard disk (sector 6-9 in the 0th cylinder
>> which AFAIK is not used by any OS to do anything),
>>

>Well... it's used (in a completely uncoordinated fashion) by various
>boot managers, etc.)  Track 0 is pretty much the wild west of
>harddrives; it doesn't *have* to be unpartitioned space, even, it just
>usually is.

And regarding booting off the hard disk, I think I will wait till
COMBOOT API
includes that.

- Murali