[syslinux] [pxelinux] fix for Realtek PXE implementation

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Apr 19 11:57:22 PDT 2003

Frans van Dorsselaer wrote:
> I found (and fixed) a problem with my realtek onboard 8139 controller.
> dhcpd server sends filename "pxelinux.0" but realtek requests
> "pxelinux.0\377"
> (i.e. the octal character 377 is appended), resulting in a file not found
> during
> the tftpd phase.
>
> I fixed this by adding a mapping to tftpd:
>
> # strip ending garbage from filenames (Realtek PXE bug)
> r ^([[:graph:]]*)(.+)$ \1
>
> maybe this should go in the PXELINUX docs.  I don't think the
> mapping hurts any already working configs, so it can be safely
> added.

Since this is an onboard controller, meaning it's actually motherboard
BIOS bug, can you give me details about your motherboard and BIOS?

It sounds like a useful thing to put on the "hardware compatibility"
webpage.

<rant>
I need to figure out some way to make the web pages and the
documentation from common source, they keep getting out of sync...
</rant>