[syslinux] pxelinux - loading vmlinuz and initrd.gz

Paul Schulz paul at mawsonlakes.org
Sat Aug 9 20:23:33 PDT 2003

Greetings,

Hopefully a quick question.. I have been experimenting with
pxelinux and have noticed the following, when using initrd.gz

- vmlinuz needs to exist 'tftpboot' directory,
  else I get an error from pxelinux.
  eg. kernel/vmlinuz

- vmlinux also needs to exist in initrd.gz
  (in the same relative path eg. kernel/vmlinuz)
  else Linux is not booted.

[I haven't confirmed which one actually is booted,
other then the file needs to exist in both locations.]

I would like to only have a single copy of 'vmlinuz'.
(I'm using the net booting to test various linux kernel
options..)

I suspect that vmlinuz only needs to be in 'initrd.gz',
and that the pxelinux check can/could be disabled.
Is this correct?

Cheers,
Paul