[syslinux] pxelinux 2.04+ hangs after loading kernel

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Aug 11 12:46:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

"Josef Siemes" <jsiemes at web.de> schrieb am 30.07.03 18:38:29:
> "Josef Siemes" <jsiemes at web.de> schrieb am 29.07.03 20:58:15:
> > I just tried to boot my token ring devices with 2.05 - to no avail,
> > it hangs after loading the kernel. I then tried older versions, and found
> > 2.03 booting like a charm, and every 2.04-pre including 2.04 hanging.
>
> Strange. That was booting from AIX, with AIX tftpd. Just tried linux
> (RH Advanced Server), and it works with 2.04. It's a pretty old version of
> tftp-hpa, though, and it seems to me that the client prints some more
> dots downloading the file. Maybe different blksize?

Just found it - at least it seems like that. The AIX machine has a maximum IP
blocksize of 1492 bytes configured, so every packet got fragmented
at 1492 bytes, and a second packet containing the last 8 tftp
bytes followed. pxelinux does various strange things then, for example I got
'Kernel not found' for kernels that were there, the keyboard mapping seemed
to go completely crazy etc.pp.. And yes, I know that pxelinux doesn't like
fragmented packets at all, since the braindead PXE roms don't support this ...

I just tried to change MTU to 1500, but it seems that AIX doesn't
like that without taking the device down, since the tftp server doesn't seem
to serve the client any more.

BTW: This is on an ATM interface, with Token-ring lan emulation.

So is there any chance to get blksize configurable, and stick to 512 as long as
no config file was loaded? Maybe someone else will have problems like these
because the MTU is configured somewhat strange.

Regards,

Josef