[syslinux] Iso-linux boot fails on SCSI CD-ROMs?

Simon de Hartog simon.syslinux at dehartog.nl
Wed Aug 13 17:49:20 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm currently using Gentoo Linux. It's boot CD uses isolinux. When I
boot it, it gives me a nice LILO like prompt, but trying to start any
image fails. Loading of the image and initrd loading works though. Even
booting a memtest image fails. I get the following text during boot:

ISOLINUX 2.02 2003-02-13 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to
wing it...
isolinux: Found something at drive = F0
isolinux: Looks like it might be right, continuing...
   Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin

Any idea? When trying to start an image, it just gives a blank screen
with a blinking cursor, no response except to Crtl-Alt-Delete. I have a
SCSI-only system, with my boot CD-ROM being a DVD drive at SCSI ID 0. A
friend of mine has the exact same SCSI-controller (Diamond FirePort),
but the same CD does work fine on his system.

Thanks in advance,

Simon de Hartog
--
"Don't try to be who you want to be. Try to be yourself, and let
   the person you want to be, be you." Simon de Hartog