[syslinux] pxelinux 2.04+ hangs after loading kernel

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Aug 15 11:36:13 PDT 2003

Josef Siemes wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> "Josef Siemes" <jsiemes at web.de> schrieb am 11.08.03 21:54:36:
>
>>I just tried to change MTU to 1500, but it seems that AIX doesn't
>>like that without taking the device down, since the tftp server doesn't seem
>>to serve the client any more.
>

> I've tried a different machine with gigabit ethernet and MTU 1500, this works.
> This is a separate network, in the other one the MTU is set to 1492 because
> of a bridge that doesn't like an MTU of 1500.
>
> Regards,
>
> Josef

OK, that's almost certainly the problem, then.  What's happening is that
 with the larger blksize you're getting fragmentation, and then your PXE
stack doesn't handle fragment reassembly correctly.

Perhaps blksize should be a configure file option.  I need to figure out
how to best do that.  In the meantime you can disable blksize on the
TFTP server.