[syslinux] pxelinux 2.04+ hangs after loading kernel

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Aug 18 08:59:05 PDT 2003

Hi,

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> schrieb am 15.08.03 20:44:21:
> Josef Siemes wrote:
> > "Josef Siemes" <jsiemes at web.de> schrieb am 11.08.03 21:54:36:
> >>I just tried to change MTU to 1500, but it seems that AIX doesn't
> >>like that without taking the device down, since the tftp server doesn't seem
> >>to serve the client any more.
> >
> > I've tried a different machine with gigabit ethernet and MTU 1500, this works.
> > This is a separate network, in the other one the MTU is set to 1492 because
> > of a bridge that doesn't like an MTU of 1500.

> OK, that's almost certainly the problem, then.  What's happening is that
>  with the larger blksize you're getting fragmentation, and then your PXE
> stack doesn't handle fragment reassembly correctly.

Jep, that's what I wrote in an earlier posting. The packet got fragmented
at 1492 bytes, and the last 8 bytes were sent in another packet.

> Perhaps blksize should be a configure file option.  I need to figure out
> how to best do that.

That's what I already suggested.

> In the meantime you can disable blksize on the TFTP server.

In the current implementation I can't, since I'm not using tftp-hpa, but
the one from AIX. This server can't switch off options. But since 2.00 is
still working without problems there's no hurry to replace it with 2.05.

Regards,

Josef