[syslinux] MEMDISK without floppy drive

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 27 11:17:55 PDT 2003

Robert Wruck <robert at rw-it.net> writes:

> I tried to use memdisk 2.06 to boot a floppy image on my notebook
> which doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> The boot failed, because the bootstrap code tried to reset the floppy
> drive (int13, ah=00). Memdisk passes reset calls on to the original
> int13 handler, which returns failure, because there is no floppy drive
> to reset (#1).

I and several of my users (http://unattended.sourceforge.net/) have
observed this as well.  I have been assuming it was a BIOS problem.

My workaround has been to attach a floppy drive, USB or otherwise, to
the laptop before booting it.  I have been considering switching to
hard drive emulation, which works.

> Workaround for #1: only hand reset calls down to the original
> handler if it is meant for hard disks, too (high bit in dl set).

Excellent!  If this patch really fixes the problem, it will save me
a bunch of work.

Thank you!

 - Pat