[syslinux] Planning a 2.08 release

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 1 13:58:36 PST 2003

Another possibly useful feature for memdisk (though not for ver 2.08):

Accept one more argument, say initrd2 or something like that and "mount"
that image under B: or X: or whatever. This will allow us to cross the
size limit of 2.88MB floppies. Ofcourse when I say "mount" I dont expect
memdisk to mount it, just that set things up so that DOS mounts it there.

Of course, one may say that if we need more than 2.88MB worth of info,
then one should give a hard disk image to memdisk. But, if I am right (I
might be wrong here) in such a case, the image will become C:\ (in DOS)
and the regular hard disk will become D:. Then if one tries to install
Windows, then the windows drive will be called D: in the final
installation. This may lead to certain undesirable things. For eg, there
are still windows software (new ones at that) out there which always
install to "C:\Program Files" without even checking if windows has been
installed in C: or D:.

Right now my usage is only 87% of the 2.88MB floppy, so I hope I am not
forced into the hard disk image route in the near future.

BTW, if I give memdisk a hard disk image, can one make sure that DOS
recognizes it not as C: but some thing later, i.e. make DOS assign drive
letters to the regular hard disks first and then assign one to the
memdisk image?

If I remember correctly, some topic like this did come up some time ago.

- Murali