[syslinux] Planning a 2.08 release

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 2 08:00:02 PST 2003

OK. So booting from a hard disk image is a no go if one is trying to
install windows :-(
Can one still "mount" two floppy images with MEMDISK (or have this
feature in MEMDISK)? I guess I am asking this only out of curiousity,
since as you said I can have one larger floppy image. To create such an
image I do the following right?

1. Create an empty file of appropriate size
2. Mount as loop back device.
3. Use mkdosfs to format the filesystem passing it the appropriate C,H,S
parameters.
4. Mount this loop back device, and put the appropriate files there.

Only question is that if there is a utility to copy the boot sector off
a working image (possibly different size) and put it into this
non-standard floppy image? As I read on this list, a sector based dd
wont help, as the boot sector also has the geomety encoded?

- Murali