[syslinux] Planning a 2.08 release

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 2 22:27:15 PST 2003

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> That should work, except I don't think mkdosfs allows entering CHS
> parameters.  However, you can let mkdosfs pick its own parameters and
> just specify them to memdisk when the time comes, for example, to make
> an 8 MB image:
>
> : smyrno 2 ; mkdosfs -v -C testimage 8192
> mkdosfs 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
> testimage has 64 heads and 32 sectors per track,
> logical sector size is 512,
> using 0xf8 media descriptor, with 16384 sectors;
> file system has 2 16-bit FATs and 4 sectors per cluster.
> FAT size is 16 sectors, and provides 4079 clusters.
> Root directory contains 512 slots.
> Volume ID is 3fccde5b, no volume label.
>
> So you'd use the command line options "floppy h=64 s=32".

How utterly amusing.  We just found a bug in mkdosfs :)

The above created a FAT16 filesystem with 4079 clusters.  This is
illegal; a FAT16 filesystem is required to have at least 4085 clusters
-- similarly, a FAT32 filesystem is required to have at least 65529
clusters.

The above should have generated a FAT12 filesystem with 4081 clusters
instead.  If one specifies -F 12 it generates 2042 8-sector clusters,
which is legal but somewhat excessive.

Hmmm...