[syslinux] Comboot for showing DOCS

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 3 15:28:50 PST 2003

As I start using ISOLINUX more and more, I have now hit upon the 10 page
limitation for help information. Basically I have files, F1.txt ---
F9.txt to display some helpful information for the users. With comboot,
here is a way to life that limit.

* Write a comboot code, which takes a file name as an argument and
displays its contents on the screen (arrow keys, PgUp, PgDn, Home, End)
work.

* When the function keys are pressed, instead of displaying the text
file, the corresponding comboot code is executed.

Basically the problem I am trying to solve is this:

At the boot prompt, the user may need help with some of the available
options. Frequently used options are arguments can be displayed using
the F1.txt -- F9.txt. How to display additional help which is long or
infrequently used?

Is such a thing useful? I am sure all the linux distro's out there using
ISOLINUX will benifit a lot from this feature.

- Murali