[syslinux] Comboot for showing DOCS

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Dec 3 16:08:52 PST 2003

ganapathy murali krishnan wrote:

> As I start using ISOLINUX more and more, I have now hit upon the 10 page
> limitation for help information. Basically I have files, F1.txt ---
> F9.txt to display some helpful information for the users. With comboot,
> here is a way to life that limit.
>
> * Write a comboot code, which takes a file name as an argument and
> displays its contents on the screen (arrow keys, PgUp, PgDn, Home, End)
> work.
>
> * When the function keys are pressed, instead of displaying the text
> file, the corresponding comboot code is executed.
>
> Basically the problem I am trying to solve is this:
>
> At the boot prompt, the user may need help with some of the available
> options. Frequently used options are arguments can be displayed using
> the F1.txt -- F9.txt. How to display additional help which is long or
> infrequently used?
>
> Is such a thing useful? I am sure all the linux distro's out there using
> ISOLINUX will benifit a lot from this feature.

In fact, you could actually replace the entire syslinux UI with a
comboot/com32 feature if you wanted to: use "prompt 0" "default
myui.c32", and then submit the resulting command line to syslinux when
you're done.

It seems like help screens, menus, etc all would work great under that
kind of model.  On the other hand, it wouldn't fit on a boot floppy,
which is why I don't want to put it into syslinux proper.  Obviously,
for network or CD-ROM, who cares...