[syslinux] Planning a 2.08 release

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Dec 4 11:30:02 PST 2003

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy wrote:

> I dont know if adding that feature (making memdisk force BIOS to choose
> the last possible drive letter), would help in any situation except the
> situation I described. Right now, having a 10MB floppy image is more
> than enough for me.
>
> BTW, Thanks to the new MEMDISK interrupt, I have one DOS image which
> does a whole lot of things depending on the arguments it gets. I have
> implemented an an rc.d style autoexec.bat and that makes things really
> useful. The key is a program which parses the boot time arguments and
> sets appropriate environment variables (a simple modification of the
> sample program which comes with syslinux). This is also available for
> download (http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~gmurali/gui), in case anyone is
> interested.
>
> This feature has reduced the number of DOS images in my CD and hence
> maintaining them is a lot easier.

Hi Murali,

I think it would be a good idea to preserve the comment I put in into
mdiskchk.c:

  * This program can be compiled for DOS with the OpenWatcom compiler
  * (http://www.openwatcom.org/):
  *
  * wcl -3 -osx -mt mdiskchk.c

... it's not exactly obvious what compiler to use and how to use it, and
saving people that trouble would certainly be a good idea.