[syslinux] Asus A7V600 (3C940 1gb) + Oopsing kernel with PXELINUX

Michal Frackowiak michalf at ncac.torun.pl
Mon Dec 8 14:55:03 PST 2003

Hi!

We (an astronomical center) are building a small cluster for our
number-crunching. The problem is that we have 12 mobos A7V600 by Asus (for
athlons) - 1 server + 11 diskless nodes. And here comes the trouble...

hardware:
mobo: a7v600
net: 1 gigabit by 3com - 3c940, integrated in mobo

the problem is:

dhcp - works fine
tftp - works fine
pxelinux.0 - downloads fine (I hope)
linux kernel - downloads and...

and here begins the lottery. sometimes:
Uncompressing vmlinux....... crc error, system halted

sometimes the node uncompresses the kernel and advances in startup, but
the kernel makes Oops and produces the stack info during services startup.
mostly non-recoverable.

but sometimes everything seemes to be fine - even the login prompt ;-)
but the system is corrupted - kernel oopses after some time. for sure will
oops when shutting the system down.

it seems as some part of bios/mba randomly overwrites some part of the
kernel or sth alike. this is only my guess.

the same kernel works fine when loaded from a "hard" media.

I have tried various versions of pxelinux: 2.05, 2.07, 1.76. prhaps I have
missed sth? kernels 2.6.0-test11 and 2.4.23 as well (but it is not a
kernel issue).

at the moment I can not remember the version of MBA (I am at home now) -
will update tomorrow.

I however have no idea how to solve this.
1. is it a common behaviour with some hardware configurations? I have
digged the archives and google but found nothing of that type...
2. is there a chance to use pxelinux anyway? I am not sure if the mobo
provides an option to update the mba...
3. does anyone use asus a7v600 with pxelinux???
4. any alternative booting way? those diskless nodes do not even have
floppies... usb pen-drive?

what are the alternatives to pxelinux (bootp?) that could work?

thanx a lot - I am really in need for help...

regards
michal frackowiak