[syslinux] Problems with Win32 syslinux

Alex Pavloff apavloff at esatechnology.com
Tue Dec 9 16:19:13 PST 2003

> You're not saying which version of Windows you're using, or
> which kind of BIOS, or about where these things "come up" as
> CHH parts.
>
> My first guess is that you have a severely screwed up Windows
> device driver effectively trashing your card.

Its Windows 2000 -- the "come up" is when my embedded system's BIOS
reports the flash as when its booting as an IDE.

Some process of elimination with various CompactFlash units find that
SYSLINUX.EXE doesn't break all the CompactFlash.  There are various
models of the CompactFlash, (all badged as Memorex flash), that work,
but it appears that all the CompactFlast that's failing has a "Copyright
2000" on it, and reports itself to the BIOS in IDE mode as a 32MB CHH.

So, the question then becomes "do I have a batch of broken flash
unsuitable for use for in things other than digital cameras".  More
research is needed by me, but I'm thinking at this point that is not
SYSLINUX, and if it is SYSLINUX, its exposing broken CF.

Alex Pavloff - apavloff at esatechnology.com
ESA Technology ---- www.esatechnology.com
------- Linux-based industrial HMI ------
-------- www.esatechnology.com/5k -------