[syslinux] Last call before syslinux 2.08

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 9 16:48:18 PST 2003

Blaauw,Bernd B. wrote:
> maybe the bug I told about a few days ago.
> However there are too many programs involved to be sure that this is a Memdisk bug.. (solely, or at all)
>
> the following is an image of a diskette I've made as testcase.
> diskette contains:
> *Syslinux 2.08pre9
> *corresponding Memdisk
> *FreeDOS kernel 2032a
> *Himem64.exe (xms-driver up to a few GB)
> *dos=high
>
> this disk works (presented option 2). However when loading the same using Memdisk (option 1) it fails.
> http://www.darklogic.org/fdos/beta9/minicd/memdisk.bmp (36KB) shows option1 results within Vmware (and on my dad's computer)

Indeed there are.  I have previously seen problems with FreeDOS that
have turned out to be FreeDOS problems more often so than MEMDISK problems.

My initial guess would be that FreeDOS -- in particular, FDXMS286.SYS --
gets unhappy about the way MEMDISK handles INT 15h AH=87h, the so-called
"high memory mover" API.  The "286" part of that worries me, since INT
15h AH=87h is a bit different between 286 and 386.