[syslinux] PXELinux over Ris server

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Dec 16 01:27:59 PST 2003

Hi,

lionel.michaut at itc.alstom.com schrieb am 16.12.03 08:40:02:
> Having the same trouble that Mark (
> http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-March/000244.html)
> had over a test platform I have here. Having a redhat 7.3 with dhcp
> V3.0rc12 and atftp (0.6.2) on a local
> small hub and a W2k Server with RIS installed.
>
> If I stop binlsvc on nt server my network boot run ok to pxelinux,
> but as soon as binlsvc is started, RIS server always respond over
> my local network (dhcp and dns stopped on nt server)

This is the so-called 'PXE server', which assigns a boot file to the client, while the
dhcp server assigns the IP address (and a boot file if no PXE server responds).

I don't know any general way to switch this off, since this is implemented by the
boot rom itself. Maybe you need to set some special options, but this should be
documented in the PXE rom's documentation (usually there isn't any documentation
about the PXE rom despite that the PXE rom exists ....). So you could try some options,
and see if the rom still sends out a PXE request (Port 4xxx instead of the usual DHCP
ports, the packet looks like a DHCP request).

>From my point of view the invention of the 'PXE server' isn't useful at all, if someone needs
to specify the bootfile independent of the IP address you could always generate a dhcp
config from two sources.

Regards,

Josef