[syslinux] syslinux bootsector info?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 16 12:14:08 PST 2003

Blaauw,Bernd B. wrote:
> Mr Anvin,
>
> is there a specific loading address used with the Syslinux bootsector (to load ldlinux.sys)?
>
> like msdos 0x70,
> freedos 0x60
>
> we're trying to have a SYS program that can create bootsector for other OS's than FreeDOS only. not much luck though :(
> this way I'm trying to avoid the use of syslinux.exe/com
> (need the diskspace that it would save by not including this program)

No wonder you don't have much luck ... it's impossible.  Take syslinux
for example -- the boot sector doesn't merely load ldlinux.sys -- it's
*part* of ldlinux.sys.  The interface between the boot sector and
whatever is loaded is completely OS-specific and in fact varies even
between versions of DOS.

> I found a way around the 386-dependency for syslinux by first using another loader which gives you the choice to boot either freedos bootsector directly, or SYSlinux's bootsector.
> http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/metakern-11oct2003.zip
>
> SYSLINUX A:
> copybs A: A:\syslinux.bin
> copy /b A:\meta-all.bin + A:\metaboot.bot + A:\syslinux.bin A:\metakern.sys
> SYS A: A: BOOTONLY /K METAKERN.SYS /L 0x60
>
> (kernelname, loadaddress, and bootonly-parameter causes only bootsector to be written, not any DOS system files copied)
>
> this presents a bootmenu:
> 1) FreeDOS
> 2) Unknown operating system (this is the Syslinux bootsector).
>
> sorry for the many mailings. I should stick to freedos mailinglists but am currently experimenting a lot in providing users with the best installation I can imagine.
>
> I'll put up a final diskette image if there is interest from anyone from this mailinglist.

OK, I'll bite...

How many users do you actually have who use anything < 386 these days?