[syslinux] PXE boot question

Davide davide at picasso.ucsf.edu
Wed Dec 17 14:02:31 PST 2003

Hi,

not sure this is the right mailing-list but I'll appreciate any
help/suggestion I can get on this.

I'm trying to setup a diskless cluster.
I have a master with NFS, DHCP, TFTP services running. I have installes
syslinux 2.07 so I can use pxelinux to boot the clients via PXE.

I've installed one of the clients with an hard drive and Linux on it
(redhat 8). Compiled and clean up the kernel. Kernel boots fine on the
local disk. CONFIG_ROOT_NFS is set to y on the client.

I did copy the installation from the client hard disk to /tftpboot on the
master. Copied vmlinuz, I used a kernel with no modules (to make things
easier .. well that I thought), in /tftpboot. Setup the default in
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg as follow:

LABEL   linux_test
 KERNEL vmlinuz
 APPEND root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp noinitrd

OK, when I boot the client via LAN it gets the IP from the DHCP server,
finds the kernel, loads the kernel but then I always get the error:

VFS: Cannot open the root device "nfs" on 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option

Any suggestions?!

Thanks
Dave