[syslinux] 2 disks boot

ZIGLIO Frediano Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Thu Dec 18 02:31:31 PST 2003

> ZIGLIO Frediano wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > It's my first message on this ML.
> > I just installed Fedora Core and I had a small problem... kernel +
> > initrd do not fit in a 1.44 disks...
> >
> > I looked at documentation and at code (kernel.inc) and I saw that
> > syslinux
> > - load kernel
> > - load initrd
> > - boot kernel
> > So perhaps a small workaround for above problem should be to add a
> > configuration to initrd (ie initrd=@initrd.img) to just ask
> to replace
> > the disk, and wait a key press and then load initrd from second
> > floppy. I know some changes are required (remove '@' from kernel
> > command line, test if disk/initrd is present and if not ask for
> > correct disk) however that doesn't seem too complicated...
>
> It doesn't seem complicated, but unfortunately it's a pretty hard
> assumption in syslinux that storage is always online.  However, your
> particular suggestion is a bit more constructive than a lot of things
> I've seen in the past; explicitly telling syslinux which
> particular disk
> needs to be inserted would significantly make this easier.
>
> Thus, a filename syntax like 2:initrd.img for "initrd.img on disk 2"
> would be quite a bit less pain than having a list of files and their
> disks, which has otherwise been the main alternative.
>
> This definitely deserves some thinking about.
>
> 	-hpa

You are right, ':' it's better that '@'..
Before start coding it's however better to plan changes. Thinking at
future perhaps most easy and simple syntax should be

"n-m:file.ext"
or
"n:file.ext"

So we have a range of disks... for future possible extensions. Also it
would be glad if images get numbered as perl do, ie if we have
"initrd=2-4:initrd.img" will have:

initrd.img (disk #2)
initrd.imf (disk #3)
initrd.imh (disk #4)

Or using numbers (initrd=2-4:initrd.i00)

initrd.i00 (disk #2)
initrd.i01 (disk #3)
initrd.i02 (disk #4)

The problem is perhaps image sizes (difficult to compute from first
disk)... I didn't watch so deeply ldlinux code... However the first
change I want to write is
- support "n:initrd_name.ext" syntax where n is a digit
- do not support multi-disk and kernel not on the first disk
- support for different disks size/format options reloading first sector
(optional??) This should be sufficient even for 2.6 kernel...

freddy77