[syslinux] NFS error 101, again

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Dec 30 00:54:50 PST 2003

Hi,

Harald Milz <milz at seneca.muc.de> schrieb am 30.12.03 02:11:04:
> I've got another one... NFS error 101 with NFSROOT has been discussed a
> lot, and hpa gave an answer to it which appears right. It's ENETUNREACH,
> and I suspect my diskless box does not set its IP parameters right.
>
> PXElinux is set up as follows:
>
> label linvdr
>   kernel kernel-linvdr
>   append initrd=initrd-linvdr acpi=off root=/dev/nfs \
>     nfsroot=192.168.20.1:/opt/tftpboot/linvdr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 \
>     nfsaddrs=192.168.20.20:192.168.20.1:192.168.20.99:255.255.255.0:linvdr
>
> (append line broken for readability only)
>
> I also tried ip= instead of nfsaddrs= as well as ip=dhcp, no luck.
>
> Why in the world would the kernel not configure its IP values? It's a SuSE
> 8.0 default kernel, and it has everything set:
>
>[..]

looks OK.

> I could understand it is a config problem if the very same DHCP/TFTP/NFS
> server wasn't able to serve as an autoinstall server using the same
> settings for PXE boot... But if I set the IP values explicitly this should
> work in any case, right? The DHCP server is a 3.0.1rc6 from SuSE 8.0.

Just in case: Is the network interface configured into the kernel? If the kernel
doesn't have any network driver there's not much point of configuring
an IP address on this interface ...

So look for some messages about your network card in the kernel output, and
also see if there are any messages about IP autoconfig.

If this doesn't work: Which kernel version? DHCP config? Kernel messages?

Regards,

Josef