[syslinux] Pxelinux/memdisk with XP "MS-DOS" boot disk

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 30 14:30:51 PST 2003

dpetersen55 at new.rr.com writes:

> I'm trying to use this universal DOS TCP/IP boot disk available here:
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~bdriver/bootdisk/
>
> It requires an MS-DOS formatted disk created by Windows XP.  It
> works great as a floppy but doesn't boot at all with memdisk.

I do not know the answer to your question.

However...  If all you need is to boot DOS from the network and map
Windows shares, the Unattended project provides DOS network boot disks
for many network cards.  And it uses pxelinux+memdisk for network
booting.  See:

    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

As long as you are using PXE to boot, you do not actually need to
worry about different network drivers.  A single "universal" driver
will do, because it can use the UNDI stack; you just have to give the
"keeppxe" option to pxelinux.  The undis3c.img disk image in the
distribution is what I use to get a network-enabled DOS shell booted
using PXE.

 - Pat