[syslinux] Pxelinux/memdisk with XP "MS-DOS" boot disk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Dec 31 14:58:46 PST 2003

Blaauw,Bernd B. wrote:
> the problem in the "XP dos-floppy" is the kernel that is used: Windows Millennium Edition 's diskette IO.SYS (msdos ver 8.00)
>
> I have heared earlier about this "IO.sys + MEMDISK" bug, I think somewhere in the 911CD forums [ http://www.911cd.net/forums/ ]
> too bad, since the kernel supports LFN, fat32 and has the size of old MSDOS kernels.

I looked a bit at it, and when run from memdisk it jumps off into
hyperspace pretty early on when run from MEMDISK.  However, it doesn't
seem to have anything to do with the calls to MEMDISK, so I'm pretty
puzzled by the whole thing.  Also, the kernel on that disk does some
very strange things early on.