[syslinux] Memdisk and USB Floppy

Andy Wray awray at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 2 21:27:25 PST 2003

I just wanted to chime in and mention that I'm running into the problem
with getting a "Non-system disk..." error on a system using a USB floppy
when the floppy is not attached when I try to boot the system over the
network using memdisk to boot a floppy image.  Its actually fairly
important to be able to do this, as the architecture of the hardware
that I'm working with utilizes a single USB floppy that is shared across
multiple machines and there is no way to add a normal floppy.  So to use
memdisk right now, I have to boot the floppy image over the network
serially, rather than in parallel.

I had been using bpbatch without this problem on these systems, but I'm
trying to move off of it (it won't boot the installation kernel from the
SuSE 8.1 CDs).  Of course, I know bpbatch is not open-source, so
figuring out how it does things is probably difficult at best.

Thanks,

--Andy