[syslinux] Problem using syslinux with hard drive partition

Spiro Philopoulos sphilopoulos at novra.com
Mon Feb 3 12:14:23 PST 2003

I have been succesful in using syslinux to boot from a hard drive, by dd'ing
a Linux (LRP) image onto the drive and then running syslinux (i.e. dd
if=the_image of=/dev/hda followed by a syslinux /dev/hda), however I'm having
problems getting it to work from a partition on the hardrive. I'm trying to
use syslinux on a small 100MB FAT16 partition (same commands as before, just
replacing /dev/hda with /dev/hda1), but on boot I get the error: "Error
booting operating system". The hard drive is a 40GB drive with hda1 being, as
mentioned before, a 100MB FAT16	 partition, and the rest includes a couple of
ext2 partitions. If possible, I would like to find a method to boot from a
partition while still being able to dd new images onto the partition. Any
info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.