[syslinux] PXElinux bootscreens

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Feb 4 14:27:49 PST 2003

Kuervers.SJ at forces.gc.ca wrote:

> Yes, I understand this.  What I am suggesting, is it possible to write a
> modification to PXElinux to pull the graphic boot screen from the PXE and/or
> TFTP server.  To display the graphic to the screen, you could reuse the
> equivelent code from syslinux.

You can do this using the COMBOOT/COM32 API interface, which includes an
interface for reading files from the boot medium.

> I must admit, the full implications of this are not clear to me, as I am not
> up on the internals of PXE.  But I figure that if pxelinux can pull the
> files from the tftpserver for the menu and text, why not pull the graphics
> too, and then display them?
>
> Quite honestly, I am unsure as to how much work this is, and I am
> essentially doing a 'staff check' on feasibility or likelhood of future
> implementation.  I can always find other ways to do this if necessary.

It should be quite easy to do, again, especially with COM32.  I don't
know if/when I will have time to do it myself (unless I get sponsorship
for it.)

If you wait until the COM32 libc is finished it will be even easier.