[syslinux] Can't boot NT floppy

David Chappaz david.chappaz at st.com
Thu Feb 6 05:19:16 PST 2003

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your exceptional work.... I guess many people dealing with
bootable CD's just could'nt do anything without isolinux...

However I've got a small problem.
In fact the problem is maybe due to my BIOS (Phoenix on an HP Vectra VL800),
and maybe due to isolinux / memdisk, I don't know.

Generally speaking, take any floppy, format it under Win2K, copy from your
hard drive boot.ini, ntldr and ntdtect.com and you've goot a bootable
floppy, which allows you to start win 2K.
This works perfectly.

Now if I make an image of such a floppy (is winimage ok ?) and try to make a
bootable CD using memdisk.... it loads the image and then suddenly reboot
the whole PC....

I tried to do the same thing another way, creating my bootable floppy image
with another tool, following these instructions :

http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm?Page=FAQ_NT#How%20do%20I%20create
%20a%20bootable%20disk

The result is a little bit different, after loading the image, it says
"booting" and the systems hangs.... but is still does not work.

So is there a reason for memdisk not to work with the NT boot ?
If you've already done the same thinkg then it's probably a problem with my
BIOS (it works perfectly with DOS floppy images nevertheless)

However, if you need to check somthing, I can send you an ISO image of my CD
(not bigger than 2 MB).

Best regards, and many thanks for your help.

David.