[syslinux] Security issues with SYSLINUX 2.01

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Feb 6 17:51:23 PST 2003

I have just received some audit info on the SYSLINUX 2.01 installer
running setuid.  There seems to be some issues, and although I can fix
them easily enough I'm somewhat questioning the whole approach.

The other alternative would be to make the syslinux installer a wrapper
around mtools, and use mtools for the filesystem access.  Since this
would be done entirely in userspace, as a normal user, there wouldn't be
any security issues with it.

The main problem with this is that mtools is *big*, about 120K worth of
code.

What do people think about this?  I'd like to release a security-fixed
version tonight, since I'm leaving on a trip early tomorrow morning.