[syslinux] Security issues with SYSLINUX 2.01

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Thu Feb 6 18:48:33 PST 2003

H. Peter Anvin writes:

> Seth David Schoen wrote:
> >
> >The LNX-BBC project, which has been using SYSLINUX since our
> >predecessor project got started in 1999, has used mtools (and dd)
> >successfully to make bootable SYSLINUX floppies for over a year now.
> >
> >http://gar.lnx-bbc.org/cvs/gar/meta/lnx.img/Makefile?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> >
> >We've been very happy with the mtools approach.  (We also have a
> >one-line Perl substitute for rdev...)  The net result is that we can
> >build a complete bootable distribution image with no need for root
> >privilege at all.  I think that's a worthwhile feature.
> >

> I think you're misunderstanding me -- the issue is whether or not to use
>  a setuid syslinux binary or use mtools to accomplish this, not whether
> it's useful.

I'm advocating mtools, because getting the setuid binary in the first
place obviously requires root access.  I think eliminating a
dependency on root access is a good idea, and using mtools will do that.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk