[syslinux] Netbooting / building

Michael Blandford mlblandf at sedona.ch.intel.com
Thu Feb 13 12:09:11 PST 2003

Hi, I have been using pxelinux for quite a while.

It works extremely well for us.

Now, I am looking at something new.

We would like to:

boot ( some OS - hopefully linux )from the network using pxelinux.
make a small partition dos partition on the first disk.
connect ( via perl dbi ) to a back end database

Download the appropriate files for either a winxp build OR a
kernel/ramdisk for a complete linux build

reboot with the new setup from disk using syslinux.

Has anyone used pxelinux/syslinux for something like this?  I would love
some pointers or advice.

The hardest parts in my mind are: talking to the database,
autodectecting the harddrives and ethernet controllers.  This is where I
was hoping linux would help us versus trying to boot dos.  But maybe
there is an easier way?

Thanks.

Michael

--