[syslinux] Netbooting / building

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 13 14:23:58 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Michael Blandford wrote:

>We would like to:
>
>boot ( some OS - hopefully linux )from the network using pxelinux.
>make a small partition dos partition on the first disk.
>connect ( via perl dbi ) to a back end database
>
>Download the appropriate files for either a winxp build OR a
>kernel/ramdisk for a complete linux build
>
>reboot with the new setup from disk using syslinux.
>
>Has anyone used pxelinux/syslinux for something like this?  I would love
>some pointers or advice.

Closest thing I have done, is using ISOlinux, to install
winxp/linux/both on a brand new machine. The file required for
the installation are on the network, and only about 20MB of the CD, is
used most of the time (the CD serves as a troubleshooting aid and boots
into linux/dos/winxp shell).

- Murali