[syslinux] syslinux booting problem with 3Com PXE server

Jason Dravet dravet at calumet.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 18 09:50:56 PST 2003

I use 3Com's PXE server to deploy the RedHat Linux network boot disk for
an ftp install.  I have done this for RedHat 7.2 and 7.3.  I followed
the same procedure I used for the other RedHat boot disks using the
RedHat 8.0 boot disk and syslinux didn't work.  Syslinux boots the
system, gets the boot: prompt and dies.  The error message is can not
find ramdisk image and then cannot find kernel.  If I type vmlinuz at
the boot: prompt, the kernel loads and panics because it can't find the
ramdisk.  I pass all of the command options and it still can't find the
ramdisk.  I downloaded every version of syslinux from 1.52 to 2.01 and
tried them.  Version 1.52 through 1.67 work with 3Com PXE server.
Version 1.70 did not.  Version 1.71 did work.  Versions 1.72 - 2.01 do
not work.  Something happened in 1.70 that broke when using the 3Com PXE
server.  The problem was fixed in 1.71 and 1.72, and then broken again
in 1.73.  My guess at the problem is the generalize the definition of a
boot sector, but I do not enough to be sure.  I will work with any one
on trying to fix this problem.

I use the 3Com PXE server so I don't have to make 50 copies of floppies
or 50 sets of CDs to give to the students.

Jason Dravet