[syslinux] rbootd

Martin Bammer martin at cyberlady.arcs.ac.at
Wed Feb 19 10:37:03 PST 2003

Hi list,

for a few days I have got a new single board computer from Advantech with a
VIA C3 Eden for playing around. This SBC has a RTL8139 onboard. I tried to
remote boot this SBC, but it didn't work. This very new SBC uses a very old
protocol for booting: RBOOT. I installed the rbootd and tried to configure
it. But rbootd doesn't receive any packet. I debugged the source code and it
seems that no LLC-Packet passes the packet-filter to the daemon.
When looking around the internet I always read something like "...is for
booting Windows clients...". Is that true? Can only Windows clients boot with
this protocol? Is anyone experienced in using this protocol?

Greetings, Martin