[syslinux] pxelinux - use IP's for config files

André Dalle andre at dalle.ca
Fri Feb 21 10:56:39 PST 2003

Yep, this is from my ISC DHCPv3 dhcpd.conf:

Note, this causes pxelinux to search first for the full mac address;
if that fails it does the normal ip-based logic and fallback to default.

Note the mac address should not be zero-padded (just put :e: not :0e:).

# PXELinux config file becomes "pxelinux.cfg/{MACADDRESS}"
# eg. "pxelinux.cfg/1:58:fa:84:cf:55:e"
# This way we can have dynamic addresses yet still physical-machine-specific
# configs
option pxelinux.configfile =
        concat("pxelinux.cfg/", binary-to-ascii(16, 8, ":", hardware));

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:49:32PM -0500, James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov wrote:
> I know it's possible to set a DHCP parameter to tell pxelinux to use a mac
> address as the pxelinux cfg file name-- is it possible to tell it to use
> the IP it is being assigned as the filename?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James S. Martin, RHCE
> Contractor
> Administrative Office of the United Sates Courts
> Washington, DC
> (202) 502-2394

Andre Dalle                   [andre at dalle.ca]
Unix Systems Admin