[syslinux] non-standard boot floppys

Thomas Fanslau tfanslau at gmx.de
Wed Feb 26 08:02:31 PST 2003

I experimented with floppy sizes. Eg. I used FDFORMAT v1.8 to format a Disk

	fdformat a: t82 s21 D10

(I even have a modified version of FDFORMAT that creates only 1 FAT to
save space, but I'm not using that.)

All the information is written nicely to the Boot-Record

	http://home.freeuk.com/foxy2k/disk/disk3.htm

But SYSLINUX seems to ignore the information. While DOS boots fine from
these Disks SYSLINUX crashes. I looked a the source code and find no
place where this information is used ...

If it's not used by now, I would like to see support for that. I could
try to build it in myself, but I'm very closed about who is touching my
source code, so you may not like it ... But using this could get
floppy-based solutions another 400K so, if you don't want to do it
yourself AND consider including my changes, I could try to fit that in.

I saw that you already read in the boot record. Getting "sector per
track" and "tracks per side" for that should be easy ...

--tf
www.tfanslau.de