[syslinux] token ring for pxelinux

John Poltorak jp at manninghammills.org
Thu Feb 27 06:00:24 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:37:51PM +0100, Josef Siemes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I have it  working with IBM Token Ring cards.
> >
> > Don't suppose it will work with any old MCA cards...
>
> Since the first PCI cards only support RPL I think this is also true for MCA. Is MCA
> really still in use with x86-hardware? I only thought of RS/6000 with MCA ...

IBM haven't produced any MCA PC's for a long time, but I still use a few
of them. I just wondered if there was any chance of using PXE with them,
but I guess not...

> > > All cards above 'IBM Token Ring
> > > PCI Adapter 2' support PXE and RPL, the old 'IBM Token Ring PCI card'
> > > only supports RPL. Use the 'PXE 1 Rom' for booting clients, since the
> > > 'PXE 2' rom doesn't seem to work for me. Especially the 'low profile
> > > token ring adapteer' comes with the PXE 2 rom preinstalled.
> >
> > I have a small PCI adapter, but not sure what type it is. It does show
> > any signs of PXE, although I can start a RIPL boot with it -but it
> > doesn't get very far.
>
> Try pressing 'ALT-S', and it should show something PXE-like. It's the same rom.
>
> >I also have a TR port embedded in an IBM Network
> > Station which will support PXE.
>
> I know these. The adapter is PXE capable, the only problem is to update the
> on-board PXE rom. I managed to do this with an old Networkstation Manager installation.
> The client needs to boot this once, and you'll see that the PXE rom will be updated.
>
> >That is my only exposure to PXE so far, but it is proving difficult to getting it working.
>
> If you have a card with PXE 1-Rom and AL >= PX14xxx I can help you with that.

Thanks to your references below, I now have an idea about what all these
mysterious codes mean...

I have:-

AL 000001 PX14CN
BL CD0.112

This is on my IBM Network Station, which for some reason, ignores Alt-S
when I press it. Maybe I have disable it in the BIOS, although I can't
where... I need to go into the setup to switch between RPL and PXE.

I'd be interested in knowing how to upgrade it to a new level. I've been
told I need PXE v2 to be able to try some OS/2 software but have been
unable to do so so far.

> Yes. It's called 'IBM Token-Ring Features', URL:
> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/networking/ess/public/docs/853481798E78CDAC85256A17005946D3/ffp6cntl.pdf
> See chapter 2 (RPL/PXE) for the bios messages.
> BTW: You find this and the PXE roms at http://www.networking.ibm.com/support, choose
> 'IBM 16/4 Token Ring PCI adapter 2' (this one definitively supports PXE ...),
> 'Technical Documentation' will give you the above link,
> 'Downloads->Dos->PCI Flash, Version 3.nn PXE1' will give the PXE1 flash diskette.

Many thanks for this.

--
John