[syslinux] token ring for pxelinux

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Thu Feb 27 06:53:00 PST 2003

Hi,

John Poltorak <jp at manninghammills.org> schrieb am 27.02.03 15:03:19:
> > Since the first PCI cards only support RPL I think this is also true for MCA. Is MCA
> > really still in use with x86-hardware? I only thought of RS/6000 with MCA ...
>
> IBM haven't produced any MCA PC's for a long time, but I still use a few
> of them. I just wondered if there was any chance of using PXE with them,
> but I guess not...

The problem is the PXE rom. Maybe bootix (www.bootix.com) or someone else has
a PXE rom available. BTW: This would be a real 'rom', no flash ...
> Thanks to your references below, I now have an idea about what all these
> mysterious codes mean...
>
> I have:-
>
> AL 000001 PX14CN
> BL CD0.112

This is definitively the version which has problems. You need AL xx5 PX16xx.

> This is on my IBM Network Station, which for some reason, ignores Alt-S
> when I press it. Maybe I have disable it in the BIOS, although I can't
> where... I need to go into the setup to switch between RPL and PXE.

It can also switch between RPL and PXE in the bios - press any key (maybe F1?)
while switching it on, the bios password is preset to 'ibmncd'. I think this is the reason
why you can't update it with a standard rom - the internal bios manages the card,
and not (as usual) the card manages itself.

> I'd be interested in knowing how to upgrade it to a new level.

As said, I only managed it to upgrade with booting the network station manager
image (with ML 5 or greater). This means you boot the BSD-based system from IBM.

BTW: Which networkstation do you have there? Is it x86-based? 2200 and 2800 are
x86-based, 100, 300 and 1000 are PowerPC-based. Which feature code does it have?
8364-xxx is the 2800, 8363-xxx is the 2200 AFAIR. You won't be able to boot PowerPC-based
networkstations with pxelinux, since it's tied to x86-processors. But I think RPL is
also only for x86-hardware, so it should be the correct hardware.

> I've been
> told I need PXE v2 to be able to try some OS/2 software but have been
> unable to do so so far.

I have seen 'workspace on demand' (which is also OS/2-based) on a NWS 2800. But this
was with an ethernet card ...

Regards,

Josef